The Early Education Center is a community service ministry owned and operated by Old Mission United Methodist Church.
Programs offered:• Full day toddler care• Full day preschool/childcare ages 2-5• After school care, pick up from Westwood View Elementary & Highlands Elementary
•summer camp for ages 6-10, full time 7am-6pm• Preschool only MWF for 4 year olds and TR for 3 year oldsHours of operation:• 7AM to 6PM (8AM to 5 PM for toddlers)• 9AM to 11:30AM preschool only classes• The Center is licensed by the State of Kansas• The Center is accredited by The National Association for Education of Young Children (Accreditation means that a center meets nationally recognized criteria for high quality early childhood care and education)• 16 staff are employed including a full time director, 10 full time teachers, 2 part time teachers, 1 floater teacher, 2 music teachers, and a cook• Lead teachers are required to have a degree in early childhood education or elementary education with credits in early childhood or equivalent• All staff are required to review First Aid and Child CPR annually• All staff are required to take ten clock hours in continuing education annually• Teachers plan developmentally appropriate activities which facilitate the child's intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth• Spiritual development includes daily grace and weekly Bible story time or chapel time depending on the age of the child. Some of the stories and songs used throughout the week may be of a religious nature.• The Center is open to children of all faiths• The Center is overseen by the Early Education Committee of Old Mission United Methodist Church which is comprised of church members, parents, teachers, and the center director. It reports to the Church Council.
The goals of the Center are:◦ To build a good self image (self-respect, pride, and confidence)◦ To develop inner security and love◦ To develop creative intelligence and imagination◦ To develop a positive attitude towards learning◦ To foster curiosity◦ To develop fine and gross motor skills◦ To develop social skills (sharing, communicating)◦ To develop respect for others◦ To develop an awareness of God's presence and loveACCREDITATION
Accreditation is the benchmark of quality among early childhood programs. It means a child care center or program meets nationally recognized criteria for high quality early childhood care and education. Accreditation is not easily acquired, but worth the effort. During the rigorous process, early childhood program administrators and teachers engage in intense self-study and assessment of their center's qualifications, curriculum and facility. Accreditation elevates the overall quality of child care and everyone benefits - teachers, communities, parents, and most of all, the children.
Why does accreditation matter? It matters because a child's experiences from birth to age five influence the rest of his or her life. Accredited early childhood programs will offer your child:
• A safe and healthy environment
• Positive and nurturing relationships between teachers and children
• Improved social development through positive guidance
• Age-appropriate curriculum
• Better communication between home and school
• A well-trained professional staff
What is a high-quality early childhood program? A high quality program provides a safe and nurturing environment while promoting the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of young children. In accredited programs you should see:
• Frequent, positive, warm interactions among teachers and children
• Planned learning activities appropriate to children's age and development, such as block building, painting, reading stories, dress-up, and active outdoor play
• Specially trained teachers and directors
• Ongoing professional development
• Enough adults to respond to individual children
• Many varied age-appropriate materials
• Respect for cultural diversity
• A healthy and safe environment for adults and children
• Inclusive environments
• Nutritious meals and/or snacks
• Regular, two-way communications with parents who are welcome visitors at all times
• Effective administration
• Ongoing systematic evaluation
Accreditation is valid for 3 years.