Old Mission wants to create a safe environment for all children, youth, and vulnerable adults. This is important for the physical and emotional well-being of those we care for, their parents and family members, the integrity of the church, and the integrity of those who work on behalf of the church.
Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse has become a major topic of concern in all aspects of life, but especially in our ministries. Each of us has a responsibility to ensure that the church is a safe and inviting place for everyone.
The United Methodist Church has an online course called Safe Gatherings for all staff and laity that have contact with children, youth, and vulnerable adults. This training is good for 4 years.
You can follow this link to register for the course. The process is as follows:
• Apply – Complete the Safe Gatherings online application.
• Payment – This process costs $30.00 per applicant and covers all the costs of training and background checks necessary to attain certification. There is no cost to you. Old Mission will pay for your training.
• Online Training – The Safe Gatherings course is a self-paced, e-learning course that addresses the responsibilities of lay persons and clergy to recognize and respond appropriately to abuse against children, youth, and vulnerable adults. The course typically takes about 90 minutes to complete. Once you have registered, you have 30 days to complete the course.
• References – Safe Gatherings requires two personal references (one clergy and one non- clergy) who have known you for at least two (2) years to assist us in qualifying all applicants. Be sure you know your references email addresses.
• Background Checks – By applying for Safe Gatherings certification, you authorize the certifying United Methodist conference to conduct any background checks necessary in order to gain reasonable assurance that you should be allowed in a position to work with children, youth, and vulnerable adults.
• Certification – Upon successfully and satisfactorily completing all aspects of the Safe Gatherings process, your applicable United Methodist conference will provide you and your church or organization with certification information. Certification is valid for four (4) years.
For further information or questions, please contact Rev. Karen Nyhart at 913-262-1040 or email@example.com.